Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

In Everything Give Thanks


Scriptural meditation:
1 Thessalonians 5:18


For many of us, 2008 has been a tumultuous year filled with difficulties beyond our scope of understanding. Yet, we have lived to tell the stories and witness the making of history with the presidential election of Sen. Barack Obama. Some of us have lost jobs, friends, significant others and hope, but we have lived to tell the stories. Andre Crouch said it best, “Through it all, I’ve learned to trust in Jesus. I’ve learned to trust in God.” The old saints use to say, “If I had 10,000 tongues I couldn't thank Him enough.” Yet, with our one, we often fail to utter the word “Thank You.”

Even in our frustration and pain, we have to declare that the rocks will not cry out for us. The rocks cannot communicate the joy I get just thinking about everything God has done for me. If I had 10,000 tongues, I could not thank him enough.

I am thankful for every valley, as they have taught me to appreciate the mountains.
I am thankful for the summer floods, as they taught me to appreciate God’s earth.
I am thankful for every relationship that dissolved, as they taught me to value the unions that remain.
I am thankful for every ache and pain, as they taught me to appreciate my health and insurance.
I am thankful for every prayer, as I know that angels were dispatched on my behalf.
I am thankful for those who love me, as they teach me how to love.

Whether you spend this thanksgiving feasting on turkey or a can of tuna, give thanks. We can all list what is wrong with our world, but there is so much to note that is right about out temporal home. Each Sunday when I walk into church, I say “thank you.” Not only because I am glad to be in the number just one more time, but because I realize somewhere else in the world there is a Christian praying and worshiping my God in secret. While we are clapping, singing, and running up and down the aisles, others in distant lands pray to a God banned by their governments.

Yes, the economy is unstable and our retirement accounts have taken hits, but we continue to eat each day. Unlike our Haitian brothers, sisters, and others across the world, we do not have to peer into the skies awaiting food drops from United Nations rescue planes. Watch CNN a few hours and you will thank God for the next lunch meat sandwich.

I know it is hard to be thankful when there is trouble on every side, but we must remember that things are not as bad as they could be. As we approach the Thanksgiving holiday and the Christmas season, do not concentrate on what you do not have. Rather, concentrate on WHO you have. If you have children, thank God for them. If you have a spouse, thank God for their love or just their presence if things are a little rocky. If you have siblings, thank God that you are not alone in this world. If you have parents, thank God for their guidance. If you just have Scruffy the dog or Jazzy the cat, thank God for their companionship. If you are awaiting the love of your life, thank God for this time of preparation.
And if you do not have anyone in this world, know today that Jesus loves you and so do I.

I thank God for you, your gifts, talents, and the value you add to our world!
Stay blessed and continue to walk in your blessings!!!

-ADS

2 comments:

The Carters said...

I thank God for my friend Arlecia whose words keep us grounded in this crazy world.

carolina magic said...

Thanks goodness I'm not spending the winter in Iowa! It's cold enough today in Rock Hill (about 30 degrees and windy as I write this to you, dear.)