Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2009

There’s Still Power in the Name

Proverbs 18:10 (NIV)

10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower;
the righteous run to it and are safe.

Philippians 2:9-11 (NIV)

9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.


On Sunday, I went for a walk in a wooded area near my home. It’s a trail maintained by two cities, so it is paved, marked, and there is a sign reminding users that all pets should remain on leashes.

One thing very few people know about me, is I do not like dogs. I do not like big ones, small ones, friendly ones, seeing eye ones, none. We had two dogs at home while I was growing up. I have baby pictures with Skippy, but I do not recall liking him that much either. Then there was prince, my grandfather’s friend. He would bark when my car arrived, but he knew I belonged to his family even though I did not like him jumping up all over me. If you do not want me to come to your house, just tell me you have a dog.

As a reporter, I always got the animal assignments and that was never a good thing.

On Sunday, I was energized and excited about my walk until, that is, I saw this big black dog running through the woods. “Oh, Lord.” I could not outrun him and if I went in the woods snakes and deer would greet me. I have previously encountered them during my walks. On the way to the trail, I had picked up a tree limb off the ground, so I was packing. I slid behind a few bushes. As the dog approached, I pointed my stick and yelled at the top of my lungs, “Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus…” There were no other bikers or joggers in site to rescue me. The dog got a few feet near me and he just stopped running. I kept screaming as the dog just looked around. I cannot say what took place, I only know that the dog just kept on running and left me alone. I hustled down the track only to find the dog’s irresponsible owners looking for him. Of course, I had to remind them that they had not followed the rules of the trail by unleashing their dog. I wished for a citizen’s arrest.

To avoid another dog encounter, I exited the trail and continued home via a main highway that added another 1.5+ miles to my walk. Now my adrenaline is rushing and my heart rate and blood pressure are up, so what was my lesson for this day? There is Power in the name of Jesus.

So often, other choice words come to mind when we are under attack or in trouble, but know today that your situation can change when you call on His name. I am not sure if the dog in the woods stopped because He saw angels, what I do know is that he did not get a chance to see or taste my thigh. If demons tremble at the name (James 2:19), I can only imagine a dog’s plan to attack could change.

I am thankful today that I can call His name and trust that He will answer!


Going From Recession to Possession and Walking in My Blessings!

Arlecia

P.S. This morning I returned to the trail for a 3.5 mile walk. I have to exercise to maintain my sanity and control the jiggle in my wiggle. I couldn't resist. LOL! No dogs today!

1 comment:

larrytimbs said...

But dogs are our best friends, Arlecia!

I love them.

Fear them not, dear. Better to fear people, not dogs.