Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Water Your Own Grass

THE 10th COMMANDMENT
Exodus 20:17
"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that [is] thy neighbor’s."


I recently had an interesting experience that ignited the fire to write this entry. I was out at a cultural event with one of my friends, and we were searching for artwork for her office. We chatted with a young Kenyan artist about his art, admiring his work and talking about what he did as a 9-to-5. The small oil paintings were, in my opinion, very affordable; however, I joked that I did not come prepared to spend my rent money. I prompted my friend to buy one of the pieces we admired. She was a tad hesitant, as she had a particular size in mind. We debated for a few minutes before the artist chimed in, “if she buys it then you’ll be jealous.” I proudly looked at both of them and said, “I don’t covet.” We hung around for a few more minutes and abruptly left after my attempt to hook up my friend with the artist. Hey, she could get dinner and I could get a discount. I am just saying. (Smile!)

We did not purchase anything that day, but we took his card and will probably contact him later. “Wow,” I thought. That was a major proclamation to make. Is it true? “Do I covet?” There were a number of crazy things that happened that day, but I am still thinking about that one moment. “Am I jealous of others?” “Am I not satisfied with my own blessings? Hmmm…something to think about.

"Thou shalt not covet..."

The enemy is so cunning and knows how to present us with just the right images to initiate a little envy. By now, most of you are aware of the social networking sites Facebook and MySpace. I joined Facebook a few years ago because we talked about it daily in one of my classes. I never imagined how it could complicate my life. While it has been a great tool to locate old classmates and co-workers, it provides those images that may cause you to covet. You flip through profiles and see where people are employed and what they have accomplished. The profiles consist of photos that prominently feature exotic vacations, attractive spouses, and some of the cutest kids. “Sheeee’s married?” Click.Click.Click. “She’s married to him? He’s fine. Where did she find him?” Click.Click.Click. “Wow…so that’s what she’s doing now!”

Scholars have already started to analyze the users of sites like Facebook, and Oprah is even planning a show to discuss the site. While this is not my area of research, it would be interesting to examine how users felt after “making friends” and observing their success based on the info provided. Would you see your glass as half full or half empty after placing your life side-by-side with others in your online circle?

As for me, I will keep oohing and ahhing while learning of all the amazing things taking place in the lives of my “friends.” While I am not sure what my life looks like to others, I have concluded that I have a great life. It could use some adjustments, but in the grand scheme of things, it is a blessed life. While I may long to be married with a family, I recognize the many benefits of singlehood. I can easily eat sleep for dinner or a Lean Cuisine entrée for breakfast. “Should I exercise before or after I watch The View, or can I just ask them to change the channel when I arrive?” I come and go as I please, shop without permission when funds are available, and I moved nearly 1,200 miles away from home because I wanted to. Instead of thinking about daycare and diapers, I have been dreaming about a strand of natural pearls I saw in a boutique on Miami Beach. Oh, and I have been thinking about teaching in Africa.

“Wow,” you might say, “that sounds exciting.” Well, it is, some days! Everyday is a challenge and blessing. When I think I do not measure up, I remind myself that I have an arsenal of gifts and talents that others spend money trying to obtain. I also recall the words of a poem I once recited, “Desiderata”: “If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.”

For too long, we have tried to keep up with the Joneses. Now we realize the Joneses could not keep up with themselves. I have decided that I cannot worry about what others have, but I have to keep my eyes on my prize. I have to make sure that what I desire to have is God’s will for MY life. These days, it is easy to think about how someone else’s life might be better. But be very careful. The old folks say, “You never know what’s going on behind closed doors.”

“You don’t know how they got it and you don’t know what they have to do to keep it.”

This week, acknowledge what God has given you. Do not look across the yard, the church, or your cubicle. Look in the mirror and profess that you are “fearfully and wonderfully made” and endowed with God’s best!

Continue to walk in your blessings!


ADS

4 comments:

monimba99 said...

Awesome blog and so very true!!! I found myself doing that, but you have brought things back to perspective for me. You have a great gift and I can't wait for God to bring it to fruition!!!

-Monica

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful blog!! I will share this with my friends. It speaks to a lot. You're doing great Arlecia!

carolina magic said...

You are great, brown daughter. Hold your head up high and be proud of yourself. You can be proud without being vain. Sometimes a fine line, I know.

Interesting blog entry.

Anonymous said...

Great blog. Very timely! When I find myself questioning what I have or don't have I am always reminded that what God has for me is for me.

I told my sister about your blog and plan to forward the link to her. Stay blessed!

p.s. I did get back in touch with the artist. Invited him to be a vendor at another event.