Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

“Be grateful. Because there's someone else who's worst off than you.” -Walter Hawkins

A few Iowa winters ago, I was walking up the hill and lamenting that it was frigid and snowing. As the wind snatched my breath, God sent me a heavenly text message reminding me that the situation could have been worse. I looked ahead and my eyes spotted a young man in a wheelchair. He, too, was making his way up that same hill. His chair had no bells or whistles, so its movement was dependent upon his arms that maneuvered the wheels forward. His lower back was exposed, but he did not procrastinate as the snow fell. I wanted to pull his jacket down. In hindsight, I wanted to cover his back because I needed to repent for complaining. Instead of thanking God for the little legs that eventually reached their destination, I wanted to curse the snow and that cold walk.

God brought this story to my remembrance to remind you that no matter how bad you think your situation is, someone else would love to walk in your shoes. You may consider your kicks too tight, too old, too scuffed, or simply out of fashion. Yet, someone else would call them a blessing.

God knew what today’s lead story would be even before the reporter learned about it. He knows what is going on in the earth. He knows what you need. He hears your prayers and your cries.

Today, thank God for the little things. Everybody’s change is a little strange and money funny, but I am thankful that my Father claims every beast of the forest and the cattle on a thousand hills (Psalms 50:10). Walk in faith and profess that Jehovah Jireh shall supply all of your needs according to His riches in glory! (Philippians 4:19).

Until next time, walk in your blessings!

Arlecia

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this reminder. Lots of times I find myself complaining but I do know that their is someone else out their a lot worst than me.

carolina magic said...

You are a journalist and always will be, brown daughter.

That's why you need to teach journalism!