Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2014: Courage Required


(Highlights from New Year’s Eve prayer call. There was a slight technical glitch after minute 2, but the call can be accessed in its entirety at (712) 432-1202 / Access Code: 597446# )


For many of us 2013 has been an interesting year with many twists, turns, joys and pains, but thanks be to God we made it through. I have been hearing in my spirit the word “courage.” It has been a theme I have heard all last year.

The New Interpreter’s Dictionary defines courage as  “spiritual, emotional and moral fortitude to speak and act without fear in the face obstacles and dangers.”

Day-by-day we confront obstacles and dangers, and to navigate through them we have needed courage. Someone mustered up some courage when you went to ask your supervisor for a raise in 2013. Someone else mustered up some courage when you went and requested a meeting with your child’s principal. There are many instances where we have had to ask God “give me some strength and some courage."

I have been thinking about the past year and I realized that there are some areas in my life where I could have been more productive, but I allowed fear and doubt to consume me and talk me out of some things. There were times where I lacked courage.

You can have book and common sense, but you will also some courage.

My prayer is that we will continue to pray for God to strengthen all of us. So that we can become the people of God we are destined to be and not be overwhelmed by all that we feel may be coming against us.

It takes courage to to do justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with God
It takes courage to raise God fearing children
It takes courage to be single and celibate
It takes courage to resign from your job and pursue your calling or passion
It take courage to while in the midst of sickness tell your medical team that you are healed
It takes courage to undergo chemotherapy and look at the tubes and mumble Isaiah 53:5 “But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes I am healed”

It will take courage to believe you can love again, after your heart has been broken or there has been divorce, or abandonment.
It is going to take courage to go on without that loved one who may have transitioned this year.
It is going to take some courage to get through the year ahead.

But I hear the words God said to Joshua after the death of Moses as recorded in Joshua 1:9: ”Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

I am praying that God takes me to some amazing places next year, and I trust God will be with me no matter where I go.

When Jesus summoned those who were sick for their healing, he told them to “take heart.” That’s what he told the woman with the issue of blood. “Take heart, daughter,” he said, “your faith has healed you.”

When the disciples were terrified in the the storm, Jesus said, “Take heart, it is I, do not be afraid.”

People of God, take heart! Take heart and trust God to help you do what you aren’t strong enough to do. Take heart, and trust God to get you to where you need to go in 2014!

As always, continue to look and live! Dr. Lele

No comments: